Welcome to Mary's Blogspot

We have set up this site for Mary's friends and family to share stories, memories, feelings, photos, whatever you like. Please add to it by clicking on Comments below any post.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Mary's report from WOMBAT mountain bike camp 11/03

I'm just back from WOMBAT camp (WOmen's Bicycle and Tea Society), run bythe zany champeeeeeon mountainbiker, Jacquie Phelan. Three days, 2nights at the Saratoga Youth Hostel, and a grand adventure. What did Ilearn,you ask?I learned I am fast. Or at least fast enuff not to feel slow aroundpeople like me. And I now know I've got sufficient stamina, too. Campwas fun, and I did learn a lot. And I've got abrasions, small holes,and bruises that prove I warn't no woos, either. At one point I did acomplete face-plant in the duff, so I've got red patches on my cheeksand chin this morning -- red badges of courage? I still am not adept athairpin turns, but I can describe how to do them as well as the nextperson, and someday I'm bound to catch on and complete one withouthop-hop-hoping downhill on one foot instead! Meanwhile, I can wow allthe little kids by doing a dramatic skid and then riding off thedirection I came from. Maybe I can, I mean. I've done it once, whichI'll be reminiscing about often.How was the weather? Glad you asked! You know me as tending to definea good time partly by how agreeable the weather is/was. Well. Ithailed so hard the first afternoon that one of the roads in the area(Santa Cruz mountains) was closed, but we rode anyway. The rest of thetime it was COLD but dry. Fortunately I'd brought hi-tech undies, but myfingertips nearly froze off on the cold brake handles, which I stayed inCONSTANT contact with.The class usually has 8 women, but Hallowe'en cut into the numbers whichwere to be 3, but one bailed out so then there were two. The otherwoman had driven down from Idaho, where she does road races now andthen. Shewas 54, in about the same condition I'm in, so we were well matchedthere. Jacquie Phelan is in her late '40s, has about 1% body fat andmuscle galore, is funnnny, a compulsive talker, very daring, and reallyreally good as a teacher. With just two of us in the class we got allthe attention we could want. "OK, now - PASS ME!!" Jacquie'd say as Iteetered along a single-track groove on a steep hillside, and my gawd Icould do it! We rode one long and lovely trail through a state park, the lateafternoon light filtering through the madrone and maples -- lovelylovely. It ended on a grueling uphill (of course), and as I crested andsaw we were back on the road I rang my bell with great delight, grabbingthe attention of the man sitting in a car right there reading, with allhis windows rolled up. Seemed odd to me, but oh well. So, off we rodemerrily toward our car. And then the State Parks cops showed up, billyclubs in their holster thangs, ticket book in hand... Turns out bikesaren't allowed on those trails. THAT's what that sign meant! But as"girl" can be held against a person, it should also work in favor and itdid this time: they let us go with aonly a stern warning. We were contrite and haaappy again. You'd havelet us off, too, huh Liz?!Now I'm back riding my desk, promising to send i.d. theft information tothis person and passing on that legislation idea to the next.Meanwhile, scenes from the great outdoors will be playing right behindmy eyelids!Dessert beckons. I hope to see you soon, here or there, Liz.xoxox,Mary Ruthsdotter, Bachelorette of Finesse degree holder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marty's personal collection of Mary pictures - click to play